The catalogue is the key to the collection; use it to find primary resources such as books, exam papers, journals and audiovisual items. Be ready to use a wide range of terms, both general and precise.
- Geographical names - Australia, United States, Europe, etc.
- Time elements - Contemporary, Modern, 18th century etc.
- Genre or Style - fantasy, realism, adventure etc
- Audience - young adult, juvenile, younger readers etc.
- Additional concepts - family, racism, gender etc
Use quotation marks around two or more words to search as a phrase e.g. "suspension of disbelief" or "Greek mythology"
Truncate words to pick up different forms or endings. e.g. archetyp* will search for archetype, archetypical, archetypes etc.
Finding items in the library catalogue will help you refine your searching
Relevant REFERENCE titles
Most of these Reference titles are held at the Bendigo campus and therefore not usable for Bundoora students, but there is one electronic version available.
- The Oxford encyclopedia of children's literature [electronic resource]
- The Oxford encyclopedia of children's literature (print version)
- The Continuum encyclopedia of children's literature
- Encyclopedia of primary education [electronic resource]
- International companion encyclopedia of children's literature
- Cambridge companion to children's literature
- Encyclopedia of fantasy
- The encyclopaedia of school stories. Vol. 2, The encyclopaedia of boys' school stories
- A to zoo : subject access to children's picture books
- Who's who of Australian children's writers