When you publish your manuscript in an OA journal, you may be required to enter into a licensing agreement with the publisher. Publishers may use a Creative Commons license and/or have their own agreements.
A typical agreement may specify:
- who is the copyright owner
- who can legally distribute your work
- if your work can be reused and modified
- licensing of any modified works
- any conditions associated with the above.
You will own the copyright in your work, unless there is an agreement in place that specifies otherwise.
Make sure you understand the conditions before you enter into any agreement with a publisher.
Seek help from the University’s Copyright Officer if you have any questions or concerns.