Ownership of copyright
La Trobe's Research Data Management Policy states:
Part E - Ownership of Research Data and Primary Materials
As the copyright owner, La Trobe University has, by default, exclusive rights to:
- reproduce your research data in any format
- publish your research data
- communicate your research data (This means to make it available online or email to someone.)
- adapt your research data.
If anyone else wants to do any of these things, they will need the University's permission.
You may enter into an agreement with the University for other licensing arrangements for research data that you produce. You should ideally do this from the outset:
- prior to the commencement of your research project, and
- prior to the generation of research data.
You can also enter into an agreement with the University later in your project. In either case, contact Legal Services.
The following is a guide for licensing options to consider when reaching an agreement with the University regarding conditions of re-use for research data you produce.