Books and journal articles
Tip: If you are researching law or legal aspects of a topic be sure to use Australian content (unless you are specifically looking at a global context)
- Australian National University PressRespected academic open access publisher. Fully peer-reviewed books and journals across a wide range of subject areas, with a special focus on Australian and international policy, Indigenous studies and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Directory of Open Access BooksThousands of academic titles, peer-reviewed and openly available, from global sources.
- Directory of Open Access JournalsAccess to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals. Over 14,000 journals and nearly 5 million articles global.
- Google ScholarAcademic service from Google which sometimes provides the full text of the journal article.
- OAPENFreely available academic books, mainly in the humanities and social sciences.
- Open Library of HumanitiesJournal which publishes peer-reviewed articles across the humanities disciplines: from classics, theology and philosophy, to modern languages and literatures, film and media studies, anthropology, political theory and sociology.
- Project Gutenberg AustraliaMany Australian classic literature titles and historical books available fully online.
- Project MuseCollection of high quality books and journals in the humanities and social sciences from over 200 of the world's best university presses.
- TroveFrom the National Library of Australia: Australian resources including books, images, historic newspapers, maps, music, archives and more. Some are fully online, but not all.
- University of Adelaide PressAll titles peer-reviewed and include topics relating to Anthropology, Education, French, Geography, History, Law, Linguistics, Literature, Media and Politics.
- La Trobe eBureauBooks from La Trobe University for La Trobe courses and subjects.
- Open textbooksTextbooks on a large range of subjects. Note that these are not specifically Australian textbooks and some material may not show Australian practice or laws.