Academic profiles for Graduate Researchers
All Graduate Researchers (PhD, Professional Doctorate and Masters by Research students) at La Trobe University are provided with an Academic Profile.
An Academic Profile helps you to:
- identify with the University as a researcher
- start building a research network
- showcase your research interests, activities and involvement
- improve your professional image and standing in the research community.
Important first steps
Login to My Publications
Login using your institutional 'staff-like' user name and password. Your username will have the format "jsmith" or similar. This information is emailed to you after your enrolment is processed.
You must activate your institutional account to access My Publications. See How to activate your institutional account.
Add your biography
Login to My Publications and edit the "Overview" section. See the instructions on the Editing Academic Profiles page. Your updated information will display in your Academic Profile in a few minutes.
Tips on writing your biography
- Academic Profiles displays the first few lines of your biography in search results so it's important to make these lines impactful.
- Share information about who you are and what you're about.
- Include organisations and groups you've volunteered with relevant to your area of research.
- Repurpose material you have written for other sites such as LinkedIn or your CV.
- Learn how to curate your digital profile with the RED team's Digital Academic Module.
Add a photo
Add a high resolution photo to your Academic Profile:
- File size - less than 6 MB.
- Image size - at least 180 X 180 pixels
- More information is on the Editing Academic Profiles page (Upload a picture).
Add relevant links
You can also add links to websites such as your Twitter or Google Scholar account, or a professional blog or relevant YouTube Video. See the instructions on the Editing Academic Profiles page (Link to websites).
Create and link your ORCID ID
ORCID is a free unique identity profile that you can use for your whole research career. Link your ORCID ID to your Academic profile to increase your research visibility. To find out more see ORCID at La Trobe.
Graduate Researcher Academic Profiles frequently asked questions
Why can't I login to My Publications?
Make sure you are using your institutional 'staff-like' user name and password and that your account has been activated - see How to activate your institutional account.
Why aren't my updates showing in my Academic Profile?
Updates made in My Publications are displayed in Academic Profiles within a few minutes.
What information do I include in my biography?
Refer to the "Tips on writing your biography" section above on this page.